Monday, August 20, 2012

lessons

As my return to work gets closer and closer and I've been thinking a lot about things work related. Things like what I'd really like to do, and ways to improve what I now do.  I had an interview today for another Job with in my company. Its the first time I've really gone for something like this so I was looking at it as more of an opportunity to learn and grow and possibly bring up the job I'd love love love to do, which by they way didn't happen as I couldn't really find an opening for it.

I did however get some good feedback that has been helping me think more about how to improve my current job. (on a side note... I always think of awesome things to say after an interview.  If I could interview over email or text message I'd get any job I wanted.  *Add to list of things to work on coming up with responses quicker.*)

Anyway I currently work in a very Guest *Customer* related field. One of my Favorite quotes reads "Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"  I think this is especially important for customer service people to remember.  Why? Because you have no idea what that Guest who is yelling and screaming at you over a seemingly small issue is going through.  This current issue may be the last straw in a line of terrible horrible things.  And the greatest part about working in a customer service field is that you and only you have an opportunity with this one person to make their day just a tiny bit better. My goal is always to have a guest leave in a better mood than when they first arrived.  I luckily work in an industry where most the time that is what happens.  Most people come to my place of business as an escape from the real world. A place to relax and enjoy some free time.  As a new mom I appreciate this concept even more.  This makes it a little easier for people to leave a little bit happier than when they came. It can also make people more upset if something goes wrong.

My new goal is teach my team that their goal is to do exactly what the aforementioned quote says, and help every guest to leave at least a little happier than when they arrived. I love my team and want them to feel like I support them, and by training them that EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. is important to us, better yet to them as an individual, I think this goal can easily co-exist with making each guest happy. A lot of times I feel like we look at the numbers as a whole instead of each individual person.  This isn't going to result in the best guest service out there. Each of those people deserve to feel like they're important. So as I head back to work this is what I want to focus on.  In doing so I think it will solve more than one problem I've recently learned of. I've always been a big believer in writing down your goals and this is the closest I get to journals so thanks for bearing with me and helping get what I need done.

No comments: