Sunday, September 18, 2011

So Long, Farewell....

This week is a strange one for me.  For the past 9ish years I have spent my working life with film. building it up, tearing it down, threading projectors, fixing brain wraps, picking up dropped prints (some I dropped myself), changing cues, changing trailers, splice.. splice... splice... splice... and of course:


watching for the cigarette burns


But starting next Friday there will be no more of that.  My 35's are being switched out,



And the new pretty digitals will take their places.



I love getting lost in the bustle of Thursday nights there's something magical about taking a bunch of reels, and a few trailers, and turning them into an entire movie. It's soon to be a lost and forgotten art.  It makes me sad to think I've already built my last print. I've already screened my last 35mm film. and tomorrow I will thread my last projector. *NO I'm not crying!*  I'm not a big fan of change.  I think I'll feel lost and unsure what to do with myself.  I'd like to sing this song to my projectors, (Okay, you caught me, I've been singing it to them all week):



On the bright side there will be less money going out to payroll. The picture will always be crisp clean perfect from the first run to the very last. And the images will seem so real you won't need fancy vacations ever again.



I'm going to miss my 35's! I'm off to spend my last two shifts with them.  Help in saying good-bye!

No comments: