Monday, November 17, 2014

Religion

I've been thinking about this post for a few days now. When I saw it on the list I thought, oh boy. What are my thoughts on religion? I'm nervous to share this as I don't know that I think like most Mormons do. I've been trying to decide how to come at this subject. But we'll give it a shot.

What is religion first of all:
  1. religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence. Manyreligions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe. 

    I believe that everyone should have something they believe in. I think belief in a higher power, a life after this one, or whatever it is people choose to believe in gives hope, a purpose and a reason for what we're here for. And that's important, without hope and with out purpose the world would be a dark scary place to live. Here's a big part I think people will think I'm crazy and maybe look at me differently I try not to share this but I strongly believe in the freedom to choose your religion, and that there isnt ONE right church. Yikes I know, the LDS people teach that we are the one true church. I do believe in it's TRUTH. But I don't believe it's the RIGHT church for everyone. With out the freedom to choose what you believe in leaves the world full of zombies, people going along in life just doing exactly as they're told. Everyone is so different and that should be celebrated. And one religion may give comfort and peace to one individual while someone else may feel uncomfortable and unsure. I think there's at least some truth in everything. And I think it's about finding where you feel you belong the most, what values work for you. 

    For me I believe that families are forever. I believe I'm a child of God and that he loves me and hears my prayers. I believe in the promises we make in our temples. I believe in our prophets and church leaders. I know Joseph smith was a true prophet and he restored the church to the earth. And when I look in babies eyes I know that there was a preexistence. I believe I'll get to raise my Greyson someday. And all of my beliefs come from the love and support I feel in the lds church.   






No comments: